ACF Investors

Assembly Line

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Sonichem secures €1.4 million to convert sawdust into high-value bio-based chemicals

πŸ“… Date:

πŸ”– Topics: Funding Event

🏭 Vertical: Pulp and Paper

🏒 Organizations: Sonichem, ACF Investors

Sonichem, an East Midlands-based startup that converts low-value forestry by-products into high-value, renewable biochemicals, has secured €1.4 million in Pre-Series A funding including a follow-on investment by ACF Investors. The investment will be used to further develop its technology and finalise plans for a biorefinery plant β€” the first of its kind.

Only 55% of logs that enter a sawmill become usable construction timber. The other 45% end up as low-value by-products such as woodchips and sawdust. Sonichem breaks down this feedstock through its novel patent process β€” combining chemistry and ultrasound technology β€” into three main constituent natural bio-based chemicals: sugars, cellulose and lignin. For every Β£1 of sawdust, Sonichem’s technology can create Β£8 worth of bio-based sustainable chemicals.

Read more at EU-Startups