Secure device onboarding for manufacturing supply chain
FDO 1.0 can offer many benefits for manufacturers that have industrial and enterprise devices. It’s also useful with multi-ecosystem applications and services and helps streamline distributor sales. Other benefits for manufacturers include:
- Zero-touch onboarding: It can integrate with existing zero-touch solutions.
- Speed and security: It is designed to onboard with IoT devices in less than a minute, which is up to 20 times faster than it would have been for a manual installer.
- Hardware flexibility: It is designed to be hardware-agnostic and work with any microcontroller or computer processor.
- Cloud flexibility: As with hardware, it is flexible and can work with the internet and on-premise.
- Late binding: This reduces costs and complexity in the supply chain by providing a single SKU for all customers.
Late binding, in particular, is a key aspect of the process, Kerslake said. “Late binding reduces costs and complexity in supply chain, providing a single device SKU for all customers instead of making unique SKUs and creating a mess of things.”